If you meet one of the above-mentioned requirements, congratulations! You can submit a request for citizenship in Montenegro. However, there are quite a few demands to fulfil.
You can obtain Montenegrin citizenship if:
- You are over 18 years of age
- You are discharged from the citizenship of another state
- You have a lawful and uninterrupted residence in Montenegro for 10 years, before submitting a request for citizenship
- You have the accommodation and guaranteed source of income in Montenegro that is enough to provide you social & material security
- You have a clean criminal record
- You have a basic knowledge of the Montenegrin language
- You have settled all legal obligations such as taxes before applying
Now, if you’re wondering how to get Montenegro citizenship even if you don’t fulfil all of these requirements, there is still a way to do so. Namely, you can still be granted citizenship if the Montenegrin government recognizes your work in the national, economic, cultural, sports, or scientific fields as a potential interest to the country.
Montenegrin law requires lawful and uninterrupted residence in Montenegro for at least five years with a spouse, to apply for citizenship. However, it is also possible to qualify if you have been married to a Montenegrin citizen for at least three years.